Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Who has the keys?

Famous. Last. Words.    Now, who honestly doesn't chuckle even just a little bit after finding out someone got themselves locked out of the car/house/etc?  (even if it's only inside)  Well, that was pretty much me and my munchkins this past Friday night.  I took advantage of the wonderful "Parents night out" offered by our local YMCA and had a few hours to "hear myself think".  After I picked up the children at the end (9:30) we stopped at the store just down the street from our house for a few things.  Upon pulling into the garage, my youngest decided to dump her treat all over the garage floor.  I hastily tried to run to her aide to keep as many off the garage floor (less to attract bugs, rodents), forgot about where my keys were.  We finally got everyone and our groceries out of the car, doors closed and door to garage (it's detached) locked and closed, I asked my children... "So, who has the keys?"  Realization hit us all about the same time when everyone responded in the negative.  I dug through my purse, yup, NO keys!  Our spare key is kept at a friends that just so happened to have a military function that night.  Great! I thought.  I sent them a message to see when they would be home (it was already about 10:30 by that time) to find out they were actually already on their way but about 10 minutes away.  My mind raced trying to come up with possibly solutions.  I knew the door lock wasn't awesome and could probably use a little bit of "MacGyver" flair.  So... I shook, rattled and twisted that poor door trying to get it to budge.  Then an idea came to me.  I opened up my wallet and grabbed a credit card sized VIP store coupon card and went at the lock with all I had.  Of course I said a few prayers as all of this was happening, it was a pretty chilly evening after all and my kiddos needed to get inside.  IT WORKED!!!  We snatched the keys, alerted our friends and finally piled into the house.  The best part was when the kids thought how COOL I was for knowing how to open a door that way!  How easily they are amused and impressed! 

Just another day in the life of a military spouse!

0 comments: